Something that is undeniably an essential part of Moroccan culture is Mint tea, a delicious mix of green tea, mint and sugar.
Due to the Crimean War in 1850 a British merchant realized that he could not market his gunpowder green tea in Scandinavia, so he decided to market it in Morocco. The locals soon made this tea their own by adding mint and sugar to it.
This sweet mixture became a hallmark of the country and since then it has been a symbol of hospitality and welcome towards the guests and something essential in their day to day.
The way to prepare this tea varies a lot from one place to another, but today we want to tell you how we make it.
1. Mint leaves are washed to get rid of some toxins and prevent them from giving a bitter taste.
2. While we boil water, we put a spoonful of gunpowder green tea in the teapot. (the amount of tea will depend on how strong you like your tea and the size of the teapot)
3. We put a little water on the tea that we have previously placed in the teapot. In this way we wash it a little and discard that water.
4. Then add the sugar (amount to taste), right after we will add the hot water and bring it to a boil again for about 3 minutes.
5. Once removed from the heat we will add the mint and just above we will put a little more sugar.
6. Finally, we let it rest in the teapot for about 5 minutes before serving it.
It is very important to serve it from above, leaving a considerable distance between the glass and the teapot so that the tea is oxygenated and all the aromas are revealed.
You’ll know you’ve done it right if a bit of foam remains at the top of the glass after serving.
In addition to being a fundamental part of the culture and having a wonderful flavor, Mint tea has numerous health benefits such as:
– Helps the immune system as it contains calcium, magnesium, copper, fluoride, and selenium. Essential minerals for its proper functioning.
– It makes breathing easier, as it contains menthol, a natural decongestant and anti-inflammatory.
– It helps you relax because it is rich in an amino acid called L-Theanine that increases your GABA levels, a neurotransmitter that helps you stay calm and deal with everyday stress.
So, Keep Calm and Sip on Moroccan Mint tea!